Thursday, July 21, 2011

Picnic Corn Squares

We are grilling today, so I set out to find a side recipe to go along with our steak.  I came across this at Cooks.com and it sounded interesting, plus I had all of these ingredients on hand.

1 can creamed corn
1 can corn, drained
1 (8 oz.) carton sour cream
1 stick butter, melted
1 box Jiffy corn bread mix
2 eggs
1 c. sharp Cheddar cheese, grated

Mix all ingredients except cheese until blended. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees in 9 x 13 inch pan. Top with cheese and bake 5 to 10 minutes more, just to melt cheese. Let cool slightly before cutting into squares. These are great for picnics as they serve like brownies.
Cooks.com

I followed the recipe exactly today.  My container of sour cream wasn't completely full, but it did not seem to make a difference.



How did it turn out?

It was only okay.  It was pretty bland tasting, so if I tried to make it again, I would need to add something to season it up a bit.  It was better after it cooled rather than still mushy fresh out of the oven.

What about the kids?

They both seemed to enjoy it fairly well.  They ate quite a bit without needing extra coaxing.  They really liked the cheese on top.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments: