Monday, July 04, 2011

Snicker Doodle Chex Mix

I found this recipe on the side of a box of cinnamon Chex.  It sounded great, and I thought it would make a good snack to bring to fireworks.


Ingredients 
1/4cup sugar
1teaspoon ground cinnamon
2cups Cinnamon Chex® cereal
2cups Chocolate Chex® cereal
4cups popped popcorn
1/4cup butter or margarine
Preparations 
In small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon; set aside. In large microwavable bowl, mix cereals and popcorn.


In 1-cup microwavable measuring cup, microwave butter uncovered on High about 40 seconds or until melted. Pour over cereal mixture, stirring until evenly coated.

Microwave uncovered on High 2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute. Sprinkle half of the sugar mixture evenly over cereal mixture; stir. Sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture; stir. Microwave 1 minute longer. Spread on waxed paper or paper towels to cool. Store in airtight container.

None of the stores in my area had the chocolate Chex, so I went on a search for a substitute chocolate cereal to put in the mix.  I came up with the new Cocoa Puffs Brownie Crunch.  I followed the rest of the recipe as written.



How did it turn out?

I think it is delicious.  I don't usually go for sweet snacks, and I also don't tend to enjoy sweet and salty mixed together, but something about this mix made was more enjoyable to me than other similar snacks.  This recipe is a keeper!

What about the kids?

The kids enjoyed it during fireworks when they were hungry for a snack again.  They didn't go extra crazy for it, though, as I had expected.

Rating: 5 out of 5

No comments: